Monday, November 15, 2010

This week in kitchen

Sun. Nov. 14: nothin' much in the kitchen. Spent most the day with the kids at Mom's.
Mon. 15th: Corinne and I pick out a great faucet and finally found light fixtures. We just can't decide on a paint colour. Dmitry came by and finished up all the cabinet work he could (I'm still waiting on 2 doors and a drawer from Ikea).
Tues. 16th: The Granite guys arrived, even a little early. 3 guys and 5 hours later we have countertop and sink! I pickup some plumbing bits to piece together. Microwave goes back in.
Wed 17th: I go to pick up a Jacuzzi Bathtub. I now realize it's not really going to fit in the kitchen. I move the door handle up a few inches as it was just the right height to crack the new countertop. Fridge goes into it's new spot with new water hook up. Try to connect the cooktop but the wires were cut too close so it will be more complicated than planned and will wait.
Plumbing night. I got the pipes soldered in and all the drain pipe cut and connected and none of my pipe joints leak!
Thur. 18th: a slow start driving back and forth several times exchanging parts at Rona and Lowes. I finally got the faucet and garburator connected. I turned the water on to find that I should have changed the old shutoff valves when I had the chance as one leaks and now it's buried behind pipes and wiring. I'll figure that one out tomorrow. I get the dishwasher connected and installed regardless of the drip. Rip up the 2 floor tiles with the holes in them from under the old island.
Fri. 19th: Went to HomeDepot to solve the plumbming drips and bought a $40 of compression fittings (for backup) incase the soldered versions I also bought didn't take (wasn't too bad the first time but now I'd have to remove the old leaky valves and re-solder under the sink in the middle of pipes, drians and electrical) as I didn't want to have the water shut off all day. A last min thought from the homedepot associate, "If the shut offs were old enough you could probably just replace the washer." Remember washers? Way back before our disposable life took over? Sure enough a 99 cent pack o' mixed washers and 5 min later, problem solved. I put in the replacement floor tiles. Still waiting on Ikea for a few things. Started install of new light fixtures over the peninsula. finished touch ups to hole in the door from the old handle placement. We still can't decide on paint colour(s).
Sat 20th: Electrician says he'll come by for a check on cooktop connections and a dead outlet and we should be good to go electrically. Lot's of little things left to do. Cleaning and drawer and cabinet organizers are on the days to do list, as is some unknown colour of paint.
Sunday night is my imaginary 3 week deadline to be back eating in the kitchen again. It'll be close.

No comments: